Monday, April 24, 2006

Music is cakewalk

I came (went) to college station this weekend as I usually do for most of the weekends. There was a flute concert by Shashank scheduled for friday evening. I knew he was a good artist as I had seen him perform in Pilani long time back. This concert just reinforced my views.

This blog is about my take on music and what it means to me. Whatever performance that I have been to, there has been a visible trait that was common in all of the artists - their passion for the art and the satisfaction they derive from performing that art. I was able to see it on their faces when they were performing. I am sure everyone will be agree that this trait sets apart the great from good, in whatever field. I was going through an interview byRahman, when I was trying to kill time. I came across this interesting viewpoint of his, when he says that a person can make a very good musical composition and/or will be able to really appreciate music, not just with talent or knowledge of music but by being philosophical about life and with atleast a tinge of sorrow somewhere in his/her heart. I cannot agree more on this and I can certainly not prove how true it is. Each one of us who truly love music will realize that. For example, a song like 'Yaakkai thiri' from Aaitha Ezhuthu -especially the final part when he combines the carnatic notes with the western music as only he possibly can - would surely not have been composed by any of the tamil/hindi composers other than Rahman. It is from that song I started liking the term 'advaitha'. This should have definitely been one of those songs when he got the tunes while in meditation!

Personally, I go to these concerts that I was talking about, for two reasons. One, because I am obviously interested and two, because I do not want that hunger in me to keep listening to music, to die.When I am happy, listening to music makes me feel happier. When I am in sorrow, it soothes me. When I am angry, it cools me down. That is precisely the reason why I long(ed) to learn an instrument. I have been playing keyboard for some time now but I have not been able to graduate to the next level where I can play with both hands fluently. And I feel bad that I am not able demonstrate how good (or bad!) I am with the instrument when any of my friends ask to me to play it because I forget the notes and the corresponding chords! Damn it,I remember them only when I seriously play the instrument, in the evenings and all alone in my apartment. This inability along with my latest interest in sequencing (a way by which modern day music is composed by layering melody and harmony along with other special FX and finally overlapping them) induced me into buying 'Cakewalk', which is a leading sequencing software, so that I can play and record any song and listen to it whenever I want. I am still coming to terms with the complexities in the software. It is just like Pro-E or SolidWorks where it takes time to learn the nuances. As a result, my initial songs are not very pleasing to hear (one of my friends was not even able to recognise a song which I thought was good enough!) but I know I can only get better from here. I, however, do all this just for my personal satisfaction - the one that I gain when I play the notes and blend that with a few of the huge collection of chords, which in itself is interesting- and not with an intention of starting 'Advaitha' sometime soon! If anyone can let me know of a website where I can post these files, it will be helpful.

Yaam petra inbam(thunbam!) pera ivvayyagam......

To me, Music is Cakewalk and Cakewalk is Music.
To me, music had been/is/will be a companion.....
View My Portfolio

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home